Kymi Valley Frame Locations
MYLLYLAMPI OUTDOOR (MIEHIKKÄLÄ)
In the south-eastern corner of Myllylampi lake (10,74 hectares), in the middle of a rocky forest landscape, lays a sandy beach offering a pier with a jump tower, changing rooms, a wooden outhouse and an open hut. Myllylampi outdoor and recreation area is also prefect for hiking, camping and diverse outdoor sports activities. There are workout stairs, an 18-lane disc gold course, a nature fitness studio, and a lit fitness track, great for jogging in the summer and cross-country skiing in the winter. You can also admire the lakeshore nature from a shared rowing boat. All services in the area are free for visitors.
HAUHIA MILL AND GALLERY
The old mill in Hauhia was built in the Hauhia rapids in Vaalimaanjoki river in 1881, however, according to oral tradition, there used to be a rudimentary mill already in the early 1800s. There were plenty of customers at the mill in summertime, as other mills nearby often had a shortage of water. At Hauhia mill, the miller was able to regulate the amount of water using dams he had built upstream. In the early 1900s, a saw was built at the mill, and during the war years also an electrical generator, and the village got electric lights.
SIIKAKOSKI RAPIDS AND JOKIPUISTO PARK (KOTKA)
The Siikakoski rapids area has a long history. The Emperor of Russia, Paul I, gave Siikakoski and Langinkoski’s fishing rights to the Valaam Monastery at Lake Ladoga in 1797, and around thirty monks arrived to establish a Valaam Monastery skete at Siikakoski. A monastery building was built on the Eastern shore, and a chapel on the Munkholma island in the middle of the rapids.
The Santalahti nature walk is 4.5 kilometres altogether, and it includes two trail options, a forest trail of 2.4 km and a seashore trail of 2.1 km. The forest trail is marked with blue dots and the seashore trail with orange dots, painted on trees.
VIITAVUORI LEAN-TO AND PORTIMO HIKING TRAILS (HAMINA)
Welcome to Viitavuori mountain! You are currently watching over Vahjärvi lake from Orivuori cliff on Viitavuori mountain at 20–25 meters. There is a small cave by the cliff, formed by nature, called “rapakivi chamber”.
KAUNISSAARI ISLAND (PYHTÄÄ)
About four sq km large, the Kaunissaari is wooded, low and sandy, and differs from the typical barren, rocky nature of the Gulf of Finland archipelago. The fisher village, however, is a typical fisher village on the Gulf of Finland islands. The lanes between houses were used to get to the shore, outer fields, and forest. Lanes and yards used to be surrounded by fences, as cattle moved freely around the island. The shores were left for public use, and only boathouses and storehouses were built by the water. Residential buildings were built further inland, to protect them from storms.
MUSEUM ROAD, LUPINLAHTI (HAMINA)
Welcome to Museum Road! Welcome to Museum Road! This road, stretching from Hamina’s Tallinmäki neighbourhood to Virojoki, is just over 35 kilometres long, which makes it the longest museum road in Finland. The road runs through countryside and forests. Of the idyllic seaside villages by the road Mäntlahti has been chosen once and Klamila already twice as the Village of the Year in Kymenlaakso.
LAPINVUORI HILL (VIROLAHTI)
Lapinvuori hill has long sports traditions: the first ski jumping hill was built here already in the 1920s. The next hill collapsed in a storm in the 1960s, and after Virolahti had been without a ski jumping hill for 30 years, a new K-45 hill was built in the 1990s.
KLAMILA HARBOUR (VIROLAHTI)
The Klamila fishing harbour area has been active since the 14th century: Virolahti has been mentioned as a trading location already in 1336 and as a church parish in 1370. The Klamila village, some 1.5 kilometres from the harbour, has been named after the Klami family. Its most famous member is composer Uuno Klami (1900–1961). The village developed by King’s Road, the old route to Vyborg. Although the village has a long history, its oldest buildings are from the late 1800s, as the centre of the village was destroyed by fire in 1865.
Welcome to Motellinranta by the shores of Huutjärvi lake! The name refers to Pyhtää Motel, which was opened here in 1968. There used to be also a popular restaurant and a gas station.